Sunday 5 June 2011

The Buddha Experience


Sorry about the cheesy title, but it WAS an experience...
I went out for breakfast this morning... went through the little "monastery town", as I call it. I decided to take a look at the cemetary, since I had never done so.
A woman sees me, calls someone, points at me and says something in Khmer. I understand "Buddha" and wonder if I'm allowed there. She smiles at me and goes away. I resume my tour. A few minutes later, an old man comes up to me and talks to me in Khmer, again saying something about Buddha and beckoning me. I follow him.
We enter a little shrine just big enough for the two of us, right in the middle of the cemetary. Lights come on and music starts playing. He tells me the stones for the shrine come from Angkor Wat.
I then have a little ceremony done just for me, in which I get blessed (he throws perfumed water on me with the little whisk you see at the bottom). He gives me water in my hand and shows me I need to wash my face with it. Then we remain in silence for a few minutes before getting up. Of course I had to give a little something, which didn't bother me as I expected it.

It really was something completely different. I had never thought of anything like that happening to me. I was smiling but also very nervous cos I didn't know what to expect. The man was very kind and even told me I could take pictures. I didn't ask as I assumed it wouldn't be allowed. I know it looks as if I had the flash on, but I didn't. Everything was just very shiny.

Taken with a Samsung SL605

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.